Pages

Thursday 26 July 2012

Kate Maryon - Guest Post

Today we welcome a post by Kate on some of her books and their inspirations.

I was stunned and excited to received an email late the other night telling me that the Cornish Adoption Service have made my latest book, A Sea of Stars, required reading for all prospective adoptive families in Cornwall. I’d been sitting for a few weeks, biting my nails, waiting for feedback and reviews to roll in but this news far exceeded my expectations.

Veronica Yates, manager of the team said: “I read your book last night and once started I could not put it down. FANTASTIC! It will now be on our required reading list for prospective adoptive parents. I cannot believe how accurate you have got not only Cat’s feelings but also Maya’s and her parents.  I am going to tell all the other adoption agencies about it.

I decided to write, A Sea of Stars, after reading an article on adoption in a Sunday paper. I kept looking at all the little faces shining out; longing for a family, so badly needing to be loved and something just pinged in my heart. I knew this was a story that needed to be told.

Whilst researching my book I spoke to many social workers, adoption agencies and to families who had adopted children. And wherever I went the message was the same. Adoption can be a challenging process for all concerned, not just for the adopted child. So that got me thinking about families in general and how being a sibling, blood related or not, can be a challenging process too. I wanted my story to be a truthful portrayal, not a happy ever after tale, and so on Veronica’s advice I decided to tell it from the point of view of Maya, the daughter of the parents adopting, rather than Cat, the girl being adopted. I wanted to weave a story of sisterhood that showed how to navigate these challenges by relating with them. I wanted to present the possibility of love and hate holding hands and existing side by side, because in most sibling groups, both are true. I wanted to show that family life is never perfect but when the chips are down love is much thicker than blood.

You can see the launch of A Sea of Stars on Frome TV and hear me talking about it by following this link: http://www.frome.tv/2012/06/kate-mayrons-new-book-sea-of-stars-is-out-now/
I’m now in the process of approaching the prison service as I feel my first book, Shine, could work well in supporting children with a parent in prison.

My next book, Under a Bright, Bright Moon, about a girl called Gabriella Midwinter, due out spring 2013, tackles the issue of under 16’s living on the streets. I was inspired to write this after reading shocking statistics telling that something in the region of 100,000 children runaway each year and find themselves living on the streets.
 
Many thanks and we look forward to the next book due out next year. Kate's previous 4 books have been reviewed (and enjoyed) by us


Shine
Glitter
A Million Angels
A Sea of Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment