Pages

Monday 18 April 2011

White Crow by Marcus Sedgwick - audio book

Truly Spooky Gothic Thriller
review by Maryom


Rebecca has gone to stay in Winterfold for the summer. Although quiet and peaceful now, very strange things have happened there in the past. Left pretty much on her own by her father, she encounters an odd local girl, Ferelith with an obsession about proving that there is life after death. Despite her better judgement, Rebecca finds her self drawn in to Ferelith's dangerous games.

This is actually the first time I've listened to an audio book. I find it difficult to focus and pay attention to merely spoken things and I'd always thought I might be inclined to drift off and not listen (I do this to music!) I'd heard of people listening to audio books while driving or ironing so I found something to keep my hands busy and my eyes occupied and put the CD on.
Whether it was due to listening rather than reading, I don't know but I would say this is one of the scariest books I've 'read' in a long while. Listening, of course, stops you from jumping quickly to the bottom of the page or to the next one to see what will happen and backing noises also add Linkto the tension as you listen but this is certainly a spine-tingling, hair on end spooky thriller. The flashbacks to what happened in the village in 1798 help build up the tension towards a horrifying climax that had me totally gripped. If you like having your blood curdled, give this a 'read'.

Maryom's review - 5 stars
Publisher - Orion

Genre - 12+, supernatural thriller
,


Buy White Crow from Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment